Aircraft extremely difficult to turn on ground

avgaskoolaid

Aircraft extremely difficult to turn on ground

Post by avgaskoolaid » Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm

Great aircraft so far! My main bug report/issue is that unfortunately it is very difficult to taxi this aircraft on the ground. I know that the A340 is a large plane that requires careful attention to taxi. However, I think there is something wrong with the nose gear turning system. It seems like you can only do maybe 15 degrees of turning, and if you turn the tiller any beyond that, the turning radius gets worse, as if the nose gear is 'skidding'. It's only possible for me to turn very, very slowly paying careful attention not to introduce too much rudder. Even then, sometimes I can't help but turn too wide and end up in the grass. Turning into the gate is especially difficult, as the plane does not have the nose steering authority range it should have at low speeds.

I am using a logitech extreme 3d pro joystick btw, in case this is relevant. So, I cannot use differential thrust or braking. Still, having flown various heavy airbuses in different sims across different developers, I think the turning behavior on the A340 needs to be tuned.

Thank you for considering this. I'm really enjoying this plane.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Re: Aircraft extremely difficult to turn on ground

Post by RicardoLVFR » Fri May 10, 2024 9:47 pm

avgaskoolaid wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm
Great aircraft so far! My main bug report/issue is that unfortunately it is very difficult to taxi this aircraft on the ground. I know that the A340 is a large plane that requires careful attention to taxi. However, I think there is something wrong with the nose gear turning system. It seems like you can only do maybe 15 degrees of turning, and if you turn the tiller any beyond that, the turning radius gets worse, as if the nose gear is 'skidding'. It's only possible for me to turn very, very slowly paying careful attention not to introduce too much rudder. Even then, sometimes I can't help but turn too wide and end up in the grass. Turning into the gate is especially difficult, as the plane does not have the nose steering authority range it should have at low speeds.

I am using a logitech extreme 3d pro joystick btw, in case this is relevant. So, I cannot use differential thrust or braking. Still, having flown various heavy airbuses in different sims across different developers, I think the turning behavior on the A340 needs to be tuned.

Thank you for considering this. I'm really enjoying this plane.
Hi, are you doing turns at 10kts maximum as we asked on the tutorial?
what exact speed are you using?
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

fabian1990

Post by fabian1990 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:35 am

+1 . I think even at low speeds there is a lot of slip in the nose wheel steering which is not realistic.
For 75-90 degree turns even with slow changes in nose wheel there is always a lot of slip there.

It would be nice to fix it so that there more contact.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Sat May 11, 2024 3:13 pm

We are looking into this and see how we can improve for an update.
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

ROG46

Post by ROG46 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:15 am

Yea I agree, it's hard to turn. Even at low speed and full right brake or left.

swd282

Post by swd282 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:45 am

I love the modelling, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to turn on ground. Just impossible. Also, something with the brakes: If brakes are activated during taxi (differential breakes) the tiller is centered and yoi have to re-center your joystick and turn again, making it impossible.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Mon May 13, 2024 12:59 am

swd282 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:45 am
I love the modelling, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to turn on ground. Just impossible. Also, something with the brakes: If brakes are activated during taxi (differential breakes) the tiller is centered and yoi have to re-center your joystick and turn again, making it impossible.
Right now, we suggest you do the turns at slow speed when doing 90 degrees or more., slow speed such as 4 to 6 kts when doing more than 90 degrees

We are working on improving this
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

mseder

Post by mseder » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:02 pm

Same problem

Mats

7heAngryVe7eran

Post by 7heAngryVe7eran » Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:49 am

The ground steering should be noticeably better in the next available patch or update.